Nighttime Safety – Stingerette
The Stingerette is a demand-response, shared-ride transportation service for Georgia Tech students – available seven days a week from 8:00 PM to 3:15 AM (excluding Institute holidays and during home football games) – aimed to provide safe and efficient evening transportation on Georgia Tech’s campus and the neighborhoods in-between.
Holiday Service Impacts
Georgia Tech will not operate bus service on the following Institute holidays:
- Sept. 4, 2023 – Labor Day
- Nov. 23-24, 2023 – Thanksgiving Break
- Dec. 24-29, 2023 – Winter Break
- Jan 1, 2024 – New Year’s Day (Observed)
- Jan 15, 2024 – Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- June 19, 2024 – Juneteenth
- July 4, 2024 — Independence Day
Lost & Found
Stingerette OnDemand service has officially activated on the Transloc app. For more information on how to use the app, click here (https://vimeo.com/787972487) for a how-to tutorial or visit https://transloc.com/app/. If you have further questions or concerns, contact the PTS team at 404-385-7275
Green Areas (Pickup & Drop-Offs)
- Georgia Tech buildings and facilities within main campus:
10th Street to the north, Techwood Drive to the east, North Avenue to the south, and Tech Parkway to the west. Georgia Tech buildings located along 14th Street, the NARA and TEP facilities along North Avenue, and campus buildings within Technology Square.
- MARTA Midtown when traveling to/from Georgia Tech’s main campus.
Yellow Area (Drop-Offs Only)
Home Park and Centennial Place residential addresses:
- 10th – 14th Home Park
- 14th – 16th Home Park
- Centennial Place
- 575 14th Street
Spring Street (except GT buildings), West Peachtree (except GT buildings), Northside Drive, 16th Street, Marietta Street (except GT buildings), and the North Avenue MARTA Station.
- Rides and entry into the Stingerette may be denied because intoxication, foul language, or any perceivable risk to the Stingerette driver, passengers, or the vehicle. This also includes general disrespect for the driver or their duties. Riders that are deemed to be in one of these categories will be refused entry into the Stingerette. If the offense occurs while in route, the Stingerette driver will divert to a safe location, and the passenger will be asked to exit the vehicle. If any of the aforementioned situations occur, the Stingerette driver will notify the Georgia Tech Police and request their assistance.
- Stingerette and Parking and Transportation Services reserves the right to deny transportation to any institution or establishment that operates contrary to the mission of the Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Georgia state law requires the use of a car seat or booster seat by infants and small children. One can be provided in each Stingerette and must be used to transport children. Please request car seats and booster seats when submitting ride requests.
- Stingerette drivers are not trained, nor are their vehicles equipped, to manage emergency health situations. If an emergency occurs, contact Georgia Tech Police at 404-894-2500 or dial 911.
How do I sign up for Stingerette?
- Please download the Transloc app at https://transloc.com/app/ or visit https://ondemand.transloc.com/
- Log in with your GT Account and Password.
- Create your profile using your phone number.
- Upon download of the app, new riders will be asked to set their agencies visible. Please be sure to select all Georgia Tech options. Users of the app prior to August 2023 should double check your agency preferences in the settings tab to ensure you have all Georgia Tech options selected. Tap on the desired agency and make sure that both “Visible” and “Receive Alerts” settings are checked.
Who is eligible to use Stingerette?
Stingerette is only available to Georgia Tech students and employees.
What are the different ways of requesting a Stingerette ride?
What is the quickest mode of request to get picked up?
Making a ride request through your smartphone or online will instantly add you to the queue of requests. Canceling and re-entering a trip request will not increase service speed but will move your request to the end of the queue.
How do I make a trip request?
- Set your pick-up location, drop-off location, and the total number of riders for the request.
- Your trip will be assigned when a driver is available, and you will receive an estimated time of arrival range. When you are next in line for pickup, you will be notified which driver and vehicle is assigned to your trip and their estimated time of arrival. Track them in real-time using the app or online map. You will also be notified when the driver arrives at your pickup location.
- Rate your ride and leave an optional feedback about the system and your experience.
- Please allow push notifications to receive trip and service updates.
How do I give trip feedback?
Feedback can be provided directly through the Transloc App or through our online support form.
What are the hours of operation?
Stingerette operates nightly, seven days a week, 8:00 PM to 3:15 AM. Holidays, semester breaks, and home football games may alter the operating days and times.
How long does it take for my driver to pick me up?
It depends on how busy the system is at any given time. The app and web interfaces will show you an estimated time of arrival based on your driver’s real-time GPS, current trip load, other planned pickups and drop offs, and traffic.
Can I track my driver?
You can track your driver with real-time GPS updates via the smartphone app and online.
How will I know when my driver arrives if I don't have a smartphone?
Please contact PTS Dispatch at 404-385-7433 to request a call notification.
Will my driver take me directly to my destination?
The Stingerette service is a shared-ride program. The driver may have several other pick ups and/or drop offs before the van arrives at your destination.
Does canceling my request and then making another one put my at the bottom of the request queue?
Canceling a request and resubmitting a new request moves you to the end of the queue. Your new request will be assigned to the next available driver. Repeated cancellations may result in the suspension of ride privileges.
Is the driver’s location always accurate when I look at the map?
Some GPS inaccuracies occur from buildings being close together or due to limited network areas. If you are observing inaccuracies, try force-quitting the Transloc app or refreshing the web page to get a better connection or contact PTS Dispatch at 404-385-7433.
How do I contact my driver?
If you have important information to relay to your driver or dispatcher (such as “I am using crutches.”), you can input a comment when placing your ride request. You can also contact Dispatch directly at (404) 385-7433. For everyone’s safety, direct calls to the driver are not allowed.
Can I make a request for someone else to get picked up?
The service is reserved for your personal use. You cannot make a request on another person’s behalf. You must have a valid GT ID to utilize the Stingerette. If you have other GT students traveling with you, you all must be picked up and dropped off at the same location. If you have guests, up to two (2) may ride with you on your trip from start to finish. You are responsible for your guests and may be liable for any incidents they are involved in while on Stingerette. Your guests may be required to present a photo ID.
Can I bring moving boxes, multiple grocery bags, etc... on the Stingerette?
The Stingerette’s primary focus is providing a safe trip home from campus for students. Because of that, the Stingerette should not be used as a method of transportation for moving boxes, large items, or transporting multiple grocery bags. We ask that everything you bring onto the Stingerette be held in your lap so that the remaining seats can be reserved for other passengers, and so that items do not unexpectedly fall on another passenger. For transportation moving, please consider renting a Zipcar or similar service. Zipcars can be rented by the day or hour and are available across campus.
How do I request a accessible vehicle?
Stingerette Safe Ride has several vehicles in its fleet with ramps, and all drivers are trained on its use. When requesting your trip online or through the Transloc app, please let us know that you need an accessible vehicle or contact PTS Dispatch at 404-385-7433.
Transloc Account Information
To update your contact information or personal information, please follow these steps:
- Open the app and selevt the Settings tab at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Select “Edit Account”.
- Tap on the details to edit them.
Having trouble with accessing your account and need to reset your password? Follow these steps:
- Go to the login button in the Settings tab of the app.
- Enter the email associated with your account if the app does not already recognize you. (Also available through the desktop/non-smartphone website https://ondemand.transloc.com/)
- Once you submit your email, the app will give a “Forgot Password” option that can be selected.
- Account holders can use Forgot Password to confirm their email address and request a password reset link.
Have qusetions about using the TransLoc app? Download. acomplete guide for a comprehensive overview at 220120_OneSheet_Mobile_App_Rider_Walk-Through_Tutorials.pdf (hubspotusercontent00.net) or explore Transloc FAQs at https://transloc.com/app/.
Accessible Stingerette Vans
Any student seeking transportation assistance between 8:00 PM and 3:15 AM may request a ride through the nighttime on-demand Stingerette service. (Any Georgia Tech student is eligible to use the nighttime Stingerette on-demand service.) Accessible vans are available for the nighttime Stingerette upon rider request.